Friday, December 7, 2007

The Road to Cairo

I've recently started listening to David Ackles' 1968 self-titled debut, and am rather impressed...

Actually, I shouldn't say I've been listening to the entire record.

In truth, I've been repeatedly listening to the first track for several weeks now. I'm still rather impressed. Not to say that the record is devoid of fantastic material beyond "The Road to Cairo" - I've just been physically unable to get past track one.

I'm captivated specifically by three aspects of the track. First of all, Ackles' voice and delivery are phenomenal. The conversational nonchalance with which he sings is not only unique, but perfectly suited to his song.


Second, I am a sucker for the Hammond organ, and the one featured in "The Road to Cairo" is particularly filthy. Just listen to that low-end growl during the choruses... blissful.

Finally, the lead guitar track is hot as all hell. A little research reveals that Doug Hastings (who was actually a member of the Buffalo Springfield for a moment) played it on a Fender Telecaster that had been modded with a Stratocaster pickup in the middle position:



Perhaps posting this track will enable me to shake my fixation and enjoy the rest of the record...

Not bloody likely.


The Road to Cairo

No comments: