Monday, December 10, 2007

Cigarettes! On Television!

It has come to my attention that I have managed to remember quite a bit of the music that adorned the television commercials of my childhood.

"Skip It"? I'll sing you that one. "My Buddy"? Not only will I sing it, but I'll sing the alternate "Kid Sister" verse.
"Knock Out"? "Dunkaroos"? "Nerf Bow and Arrow"? "Puppy Surprise"? All day. "Crossfire" really shouldn't count (given the fact that the song revolved around a guy saying "Crossfire" at varying levels of intensity), but I'll sing that, too. Wouldn't be surprised if you could sing it, as well. The bottom line is that we're all bound to retain the music we hear as young children.

My only real problem with this whole scenario is that to this day, my mind is like a database of promotional music for products that I never owned or cared for. What use does the "Polly Pocket" theme song have to me? None whatsoever. But I still carry it with me every day (the song, that is... not the damn Polly Pocket). I haven't had a Fruit by the Foot in years, but I could still pitch the product to you in song. Hell, I could even sing musical praises of Rocky Point Park (which closed when I was about ten).

But what do these songs do for me now? Not only is their information outdated (Rocky Point may have been "so exciting" at one time, but it's rather dilapidated these days), but the products aren't of use to anyone over twelve.

My bold solution: bring back cigarette advertising on television. Yes, we'd essentially be replacing one type of useless information ("Polly Pocket!") with another ("Marlboro!"). But at very least, I'd personally feel a lot cooler with the Lucky Strike theme stuck in my head as opposed to the Barbie Power Wheels Corvette theme.

Plus, TV cigarette ads have a proven track record of excellence...






No comments: