Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Flamboyant or Badass?

Every now and then when I feel like confusing the hell out of myself, I jump on YouTube and check out old videos of the Vanilla Fudge. In particular, I have a certain affinity for their Ed Sullivan Show performance of "You Keep Me Hangin' On."

I feel as if, by watching the video, I'm being pulled in two directions at once. Based entirely on musical merits, this is a badass performance. The rhythm section of Carmine Appice (drums) and Tim Bogert (bass) powers through the track with with much aplomb. Vocalist/organist Mark Stein's voice is both rich and emotive. The band seems to be brimming with energy, and their rendition of the Supremes' classic is rousing.

But perhaps there's a little too much energy. Have a look at Stein - his posture, his clothing, his hand motions. I'm not going to mince words here - that guy is a total ponce.

Hence my confusion. Is it possible for something to be both this badass and this brazenly flamboyant at once? I suppose David Bowie approached that level at times, but never reached the heights of Mark Stein. The 80s are filled
with similar figures (David Lee Roth, anyone?), but those guys were far more flamboyant than they were badass.

I certainly don't mind flamboyant performers. Hell, I love Donovan, and he was nothing but a foppish pansy:


I just prefer that "badass" and "flamboyant" keep a safe distance from one another. I'm OK with crusty metal guitarists who use chains as guitar straps. I'm also OK with meek-looking sissies in cardigans who softly strum their Martin acoustics in coffee shops. I just don't know what to think of the hybrid...

I'm still confused by this Vanilla Fudge performance, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying it.




No comments: