Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Savage Rose

Before I get into anything music related, I'd just like to mention how happy I am that Mitt Romney took a beating in the primaries yesterday. He's got the charm and class of a used car salesman. Anyway...

Apologies for the lack of posting in the past few days. I've been dealing with a brief illness that pretty much knocked the life out of me. The only good thing that came out of this illness: endless amounts of time to look for new [old] music. My biggest find: The Savage Rose, a Danish band that started in the late 60s but has maintained its native popularity through today.

While the band's sound has apparently been very malleable throughout the years (I wouldn't know, as I've only heard their first two records), the initial incarnation was vaguely psychedelic and jazzy. Apparently, the band's lineup has also been rather malleable - the only constants being pianist Thomas Koppel (the son Danish composer and professor Herman Koppel) and Annisette, a woman whose voice is hard to forget once you've heard it.

The track I've posted today is from their second album, 1968's In the Plain. Of particular note: Alex Riel's phenomenal drum work (he would later go on to record with such jazz legends as Bill Evans, Donald Byrd, and Stephane Grappelli) and Annisette's wailing vocals.



No comments: